Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Our Essence: Sometimes it leads us, Sometimes it follows

    I just stepped outside into the cold night. The distant cry of a kitten dislodges my heart from its restful state. A pulse of a distant memory races through my mind.

    As a young boy in N.Y., it would be on a cold day such as this that I would pick up a stray kitten and bring it to the basement of my apartment building. Like a faithful servant I would bring it milk, food and give it attention.

    I did not tell my friends, my parents, nor did I  invite an audience in to see what I was doing. It was my simple love of humanity that would have me do this again and again.

    The way a person acts when no one is watching shows their true essence. As I look back, I smile at my age of innocence and know it was a time well spent.

    Our Essence, sometimes it leads us, sometimes it follows us, especially on a night like this!

Peace & Blessings to All ~~ Marc :)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the intrinsic, indispensable part of ourselves.  The part of our core that is tugged by the distant cry of a kitten...  Whether it leads or follows, it's nice to know it's always there.
Judith

Anonymous said...

That was a sweet memory.  It's how we treat the littlest of us all - that we are judged.  I, too, have rescued many a stray during the winter months up north. Right now I have a peacock who comes to my door looking for bread. I must have a sign on my head....Sandi http://journals.aol.com/sdoscher458/LifeIsFullOfSurprises

Anonymous said...

Oh my... it's nice to be reminded of what once was, and still might be.  The pulling of the heart strings are a good indication you are more than human, but compassionate.  Ahhhh, now that's refreshing.  - Julie -

Anonymous said...

Marc,

Having the soft spot that I do for little boys, this truly tugs at my heart strings. I can just picture that little boy doing such a tender and selfless thing in secret. Bless that little boy and the caring, loving, compassionate man he grew in to.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

"  Our Essence, sometimes it leads us, sometimes it follows us, especially on a night like this! "
I will never forget this qote...so meaningful, heartfelt and filled with Truth...have a lovely Holiday...Merry Christmas
Courtenay

Anonymous said...

We just got a new kitten and are really enjoying her playfulness.  Our Princess Sophia-Grace has run away and we all miss her but then this new Christmas miracle came into our lives.  We named her London and she truly is a miracle as my heart was aching for Princess.  Hugs,
Lisa  

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are still that little boy, Marc. Your essence permeates your journal. Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Anonymous said...

Marc,
Your beautiful compassionate essence has lead and followed you into adulthood and I for one count myself very lucky to have been touched by that essence through your journal.

Anonymous said...

and sometimes ur essence grows up and pisses his stank all over ur house til u kick him back out into the snow

then ur life takes on a new essence

innocence lost

survival honed

lizzzzzza