Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Graduate

    In three weeks my son will be graduating from College! ( N.Y.U. & with high honors! :) ) While discussing this milestone, the word "graduate" conjured up that infamous film starring Dustin Hoffman.

    I recalled not only seeing the film (The Graduate), but having the opportunity to meet Mr. Hoffman a few months after the film was released. My sister and I had attended the Premier showing of Space Oddesy 2001. During  the intermission, my sister and I were trying to decide whether to see the second half of the movie (as we were not impressed with the first half). Another lone soul was also trying to decide whether to return to his seat....a young (and almost unknown Dustin Hoffman). As she asked him for his autograph and quivered, "I can't believe its you"....he quivered back..."and I can't believe its you" as he signed his name about 5 times on my notepad.

Coupled with the fabulous acting in that movie, was the border stretching theme.....a young man being seduced by his fiances' mother. It was one of those "forbidden" subjects that was now made into a major motion picture. Yes, these things happened, but the admission of our societys moral breakdown was always kept sealed shut.

    Discussing the movie, the theme, the wonderful music in it, jarred my memory bank......and out of it, came my own "Mrs. Robinson" (no! not a girlfrinds mother....just an older sedutress and not married)...I smiled to myself, and recalled my "graduation". I wondered if she ever recalled me me with the same fondness .....

"So here's to you Mrs. Robinson/ Jesus Loves you more than you will know...........Where have you gone Joe Dimaggio?/ Our  nation turns its lonely eyes to you? What's that you say Mrs. Robinson?/ Jolton Joe has left and gone away...hey hey hey."

   Graduation......the culmination of a learning process where knowldge has been obtain. Fond memories...are optional!

   May all of our "graduations" be with high honors!    Marc :)

.

 

 

   

    

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your son.  I also enjoyed your memories.

Anonymous said...

Marc: Congrats to your son!! As a fellow 2005 graduate I know how hard he has worked!  Also, "The Graduate" is also one of my all time favorites!!!

Anonymous said...

I guess I might as well give up on that pay increase!!  My best wishes to your son; you're a proud papa, as you should be.  Wendy

Anonymous said...

congrats to your son!  and to you as well!!  You helped raise him after all....

You met Dustin Hoffman...coooool. I've never met anyone famous before.

and I love that beatles song, one of my favorites. :)

Anonymous said...

:)  .... very cool!.....Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to your Son! I know you are proud.... And, I've always loved that song.
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the upcoming milestone!  I love that movie!  Dustin Hoffman is such a versatile actor, I never tire of seeing him in anything!  I, unlike the three of you, liked Space Oddesy 2001.  To each his own I guess.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!
Jude

Anonymous said...

My Youngest will be graduating May 6th :<{ A happy sad time all in one. Thanks for sending me your clickable link.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your son!  How exciting!

Anonymous said...

:)))))))) you have got to be the proudest pop in the land and you should be........

PS I love your use of songs in your blog music is one of my greatest loves :)

Cristy

Anonymous said...

The title lured me in.  How exciting to have your son graduate from such a fine university, and with high honors!  Congratulations to both of you!

Judi

Anonymous said...

Would be curious at best to find out what your son is doing 6 months from now. Jaded cynic that I am, I admit that my 3 sons cannot seem to land a decent paying job, and there's no promising rainbows over the horizon. Things are so different now for these young graduates. I truly feel sorry for them. But I promise not to go into a political rant here on your wonderful journal... Suffice it to say that I truly expected that after private school educations and graduations from good colleges (the oldest graduated from Virginia tech with a 5 year degree in architecture, the middle one from Colgate, Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa, and the youngest will graduate this fall from Villanova U)  we are still supporting our kids because they are unable to pay for apartments in Boston and Philly, health insurance, car insurance and that's just the beginning of the list. Did we do something wrong as parents or is it the times? I wish I knew...
But on a happy note, I loved the movie The Graduate, saw it with a guy in a ruffled shirt on my 2nd date with him.  It seems that younger men really appreciate older woman these days, and it's so much less taboo than it was in the past. Guess it's indicative of the strides that have been made in cosmetic surgery over the years :)
TAke care,
MAryanne